Blog 3: Sexual Orientation or Gender Roles
When I think back
on our days in Morocco, I struggle to pick a picture for this blog post because
oddly enough, I keep searching for someone who was often difficult for me to
find.
Women.
Not because they
were absent, but because I realized I had started noticing what appeared to be
their absence in many of the spaces we moved through. Walking through the
Medina, visiting markets, eating in cafés and restaurants, and riding buses
from city to city, I suddenly found myself looking around and noticing that
most of the visible faces working around us were men. Men preparing food, men
selling goods, men negotiating prices, men leading conversations. The moments I
most frequently encountered women were often in quieter places such as the
restroom, where women sat or worked cleaning facilities, accepting small tips
from visitors as part of their income.
And suddenly, I
found myself paying attention not just to who was there, but to who I was
looking for.
For this
reflection, I found myself thinking about the identity of women in Moroccan
society and the broader issue of how visibility and influence do not always
mean the same thing. Around the world, women often navigate expectations shaped
by culture, family, and social norms. Sociologists have long suggested that
many of our understandings of gender are not innate but socially learned
through culture, family, and repeated experiences (West & Zimmerman, 1987).
While women may hold significant influence within families and communities,
that influence may not always be equally visible in public-facing spaces or
leadership roles.
Growing up in the
Philippines as the oldest daughter raised by a single mother, I was raised with
expectations that seemed to come naturally with being a girl. I was expected to
help care for others, to be responsible, to set an example, and to carry responsibilities
that often felt larger than my age. Looking back, I realize those expectations
were so ingrained into my everyday life that I rarely questioned them. They
simply felt normal.
But travel has a
way of making the familiar visible.
As our class
explored ideas surrounding culture, identity, and authentic leadership, I found
myself thinking less about what I was seeing in Morocco and more about the
lenses I bring with me. I wondered whether I was noticing gender differently
because of my own experiences as a daughter, wife, mother, immigrant,
naturalized citizen, and woman working in agriculture and higher
education, in spaces where women continue to navigate expectations and
underrepresentation.
Motherhood
especially reshaped how I think about roles and expectations. My own journey
into becoming a mother did not follow what many people picture as a traditional
path. My husband and I adopted our son Daniel, whom I first met through my work
as a 4-H agent. Becoming his mom taught me that family, caregiving, and
identity often do not fit neatly into categories society creates. Some of the
most meaningful relationships in our lives are built through choice,
commitment, and love rather than expectations. Sadly, not everyone sees it that way. I still get the occasional "but you're not really a mom" or "you wouldn't understand because you didn't raise him as a baby" comments, which hurts deeper than any infertility issues.
As I reflected
more, I realized motherhood itself can look different from person to person.
For some, like me, motherhood may come through adoption. For others, it may
mean becoming a step-parent or bonus parent and choosing daily to love children
who did not come into their lives by birth. For others, caregiving may take
different forms altogether, even through nurturing pets and intentionally
creating a family that looks different from traditional expectations. Research
increasingly recognizes that family structures and caregiving roles have become
more diverse and socially complex over time (Ganong & Coleman, 2017).
Before writing
this post, I realized I did not want to make assumptions based only on my
observations, so I planned to ask Jalal and Dr. Fouad Rachidi about the women
in their lives, their mothers, significant others, or the women who raised
them, and how they view women's roles in their own experiences. Authentic
leadership asks us to do more than observe. It asks us to remain curious.
This morning
before leaving the hotel, I found myself continuing to notice what I had been
quietly paying attention to throughout the trip. During breakfast, I watched a
woman preparing dough for one of the Moroccan breakfast pastries somewhat
resembling a crepe. As I watched her work, I mentioned my observations to Dr.
Fouad Rachidi and shared that I had noticed men seemed more visible in many of
the public spaces we had visited.
He smiled and
gently challenged my assumption.
He explained that
what I had observed may have simply been coincidence and reminded me that women
in Morocco hold many roles throughout society. Women are doctors, lawyers,
teachers, business owners, and professionals across numerous fields (F.
Rachidi, personal communication, May 19, 2026). That conversation immediately
reminded me of an important lesson: observation alone does not always tell the
whole story.
Wanting to
understand more, I asked him about the women in his own life, particularly his
mother. He shared that both his mother and his wife had passed away. As he
spoke about them, his tone shifted. He spoke of them with deep admiration and
respect and told me that mothers are truly the heart of the family. Then he
smiled and added something that made me laugh: according to him, mothers are
also the brains of the family (F. Rachidi, personal communication, May 19,
2026). He explained that while it may appear that men are making decisions
publicly, many decisions begin at home with mothers and wives influencing the
direction of the family long before anyone else sees it. If my husband could
hear our conversation, I know he would agree wholeheartedly.
One part of our
conversation especially stayed with me. Dr. Rachidi shared that if a mother and
father spoke different languages, for example, a father speaking Berber and a
mother speaking Arabic, children often learn the language of their mother. He
connected this idea to the phrase “mother tongue” (F. Rachidi, personal
communication, May 19, 2026).
And suddenly I
found myself returning to a thought I could not shake.
Perhaps at the
heart of many stories, cultures, and families, there is a mother.
Whether through
birth, adoption, marriage, or caregiving, the role itself leaves a lasting
imprint. I know this because even at 37 years old, with all the
responsibilities adulthood brings, when I am sick or exhausted, or struggling to
find a bus for summer camp while I am away on a study abroad trip, my first
instinct is still the same: I want my mommy.
Morocco has taught
me many things in my short time here. I arrived expecting to learn about
agriculture, leadership, and culture. Instead, I found myself learning just as
much about perspective. Reflecting on women’s roles in Morocco reminded me that
identities are often more layered than our first observations suggest.
Sometimes understanding a place does not begin with the things we immediately
see. Sometimes it begins with noticing who we see, who we do not see, and
having enough humility and curiosity to ask why.
References
Ganong, L., &
Coleman, M. (2017). Stepfamily relationships: Development, dynamics, and
interventions (2nd ed.). Springer.
West, C., &
Zimmerman, D. H. (1987). Doing gender. Gender & Society, 1(2),
125–151.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKatrina, what an overwhelmingly thoughtful blog. Your perspective from living in both America and the Philippines, as well as having lived experience as either being or seeing a single woman, married woman, and mother in comparison to what you've observed in Morocco also provides you with a unique experience that I am grateful to be able to learn from. Your statement about motherhood looking differently from woman to woman is a valuable comparison to how our lived experiences as women in different countries will also present differently.
ReplyDeleteI too found myself actively searching for women in public/social settings, and I felt uncomfortable with their absence in many situations. It is, however, important for me to realize that what feels strange to me may not feel strange to Moroccan women, and part of developing my cultural intelligence is acknowledging that my opinions are partially blinded to nuances I can't relate to.
Upon further research, I found that Moroccan legislation is beginning to reflect the changing social climate--including the implementation of "improving institutional coordination, strengthening women’s economic empowerment, combating gender violence, and promoting female political participation" (Aynaoui & Oqubay, 2026). That said, social application is possibly the most effective step in enforcing this policy. I want to reflect your curiosity and continue to ask questions while acknowledging my bias and limited perspective.
Aynaoui, K., & Oqubay, A. (2026, March 31). The Oxford Handbook of the Moroccan Economy. Oxford Academic. academic.oup.com/oa-edited-volume/62466.
I really enjoyed reading your blog because it felt very personal and reflective instead of just observational. I liked how you connected your experiences as a woman, mother, and immigrant to what you were noticing in Morocco. Your point about how travel makes you more aware of the “lenses” you bring with you was really powerful because I think a lot of us are realizing that throughout this trip too. I also appreciated how you took the time to ask questions instead of making assumptions based only on what you initially observed.
ReplyDeleteThe conversation with Dr. Rachidi was probably my favorite part because it showed how influence and leadership are not always visible in obvious ways. I thought the idea of mothers being “the brains of the family” and the connection to “mother tongue” was really meaningful. Your reflection did a great job showing how gender roles and family structures can look different across cultures while still emphasizing the importance of curiosity and understanding.